DiscoverBrands Systems Limited is a Kenyan based social enterprise that collects and recycles PET/HDPE/PP plastic into locally manufactured functional merchandise and other forms of plastic lumber. Through partnerships we locally manufacture recycling equipment from E-waste. In our value chain we implement Green and Circular Economy principles and concepts such as eco-design and waste segregation at source models. This helps in the delivery of SDG 12 – Responsible consumption and production and the implementation of the EPR (Extended Producer Responsibility). We are implementing partners in the New Plastics Economy Kenya project under the Partnering for Green Growth and Global Goals 2030. NPE-K project is a public private partnership under the stewardship of KEPSA (Kenya Private Sector Alliance) and the Danish Embassy of Kenya. This project helped stop the PET plastics ban that was to be enforced by the government of Kenya through Neema in March 2018. NPE-K partnership was developed by Kenya Private Sector Alliance (KEPSA) with support from Kenya PET Recycling Company Limited (PETCO) Retail Traders Association of Kenya (RETRAK), BESIC Group Ltd, DiscoverBrands, County Government of Nairobi and Kiambu, Center for Clean Air Policy, Kenya Climate Change Innovation Center (KCIC), and The Danish Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). The partnership focuses on plastic waste management in Kenya. The partnership has continuously increased the use of recycled plastic products and improve the collection of plastic waste through voluntary schemes and policy recommendations. The Danish EPA is engaged in the partnership through a Strategic Sector Cooperation project on recycling of plastic products between the Danish EPA and Kenyan authorities. We are based in Nairobi and Kwale County.
Awards and Recognition
- P4G Implementer for the Circular Economy project NPE-K that stopped the National government PET plastic ban of 2018.
- Development of one of the first replicable PET Plastics circular economy model in the country and regionunder the NPE-K project.
- Creative Business Cup 2018 Africa Winner and Global runner up at Copenhagen, Denmark.
- Africa Development Bank/Africa Vs Virus competition 2020 winner.
- Nomination for the Danida Fellowship Scholarship course on Green and Circular economy at the University of Copenhagen, Denmark. (Course completed)
- Top 35 under 35 Youth Agenda Kenya 2021 Winner (Environment Category).
- Canon/ Dubai Expo 2020/21 panel presentation.
- 7 Annual Devolution Conference 2021 Innovation Space National Exhibitors courtesy of COG (Council of Governors), UNDP and Office of the President (Generation Unlimited)
- Kenya Innovation Week Exhibitors 2021 courtesy of UNICEF and Generation Unlimited.
- Winner of the East Africa Startup Award 2021 (Industrial Tech Category).
- Winner Kiambu Youth Innovation Week 2021